Did you know that Tooth Decay (Dental Caries) affects an estimated 60-90% of kids and 90% of adults over age 40?! Yikes!It is one of the most common diseases, just behind the common cold. The CDC estimates 1 in 4 adults has an untreated cavity in their mouth. It starts with a specific type of bacteria (S. Mutans) in your mouth and can quickly become a significant problem if the right environment is in place to allow them to thrive. But there are some simple steps you can take to help combat tooth decay and preserve your smile …
- Reduce sugar consumption. And we’re not talking just candy. Sugar comes disguised in many forms: milk, juice, starchy foods, fruit. Bacteria use sugar as fuel to do their damage to your teeth.
- Reduce acid in your diet like carbonated sugary beverages, coffee, juice, energy drinks,acidic fruits. Bacteria also create acid. Acid is what breaks down the enamel of your teeth to create a cavity.
- Brush twice daily for at least 2 minutes each time, floss and rinse with a fluoride mouthwash. Bacteria cannot function well in the presence of fluoride. That is why it is in our toothpaste, mouthwash and our water.
- Visit your dentist for regular check-ups and cleanings at least once every six months.
- During your next dental checkup, talk to your dentist about sealants for kids and fluoride varnish for all.
Now is the time to schedule a checkup to stay ahead of potential tooth decay. Call Dorosti Family Dental of Zanesville today at 740/452-3697 to schedule an appointment and start 2017 off right!